Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Serge Ibaka: Spanish After All

To "settle" a long-standing debate that I've had with Dean and Ben Carman (who is teetering on the verge of jabroni-status because he said he'd write for us), Serge Ibaka, a Congolese-born Spanish-nationalized basketball player currently on the Oklahoma City Thunder, has been selected to play in the Eurobasket 2012 for Spain.

Boom.

OK, fine, that doesn't technically mean that he's Spanish, but...come on. His paperwork is being processed as we speak, and he has had a couple of lengthy chats in Spanish with national team coach Sergio Scariolo, Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, Rudy Fernández, and José Calderón about how "excited" he is to play with them.

"I'm very proud that Spain has chosen me to play for them [in the Eurobasket 2012]. I spoke with [Scariolo] at length in Los Angeles, and he seems like a respectable man with a good heart. [...] I am also very excited to play with Spain, especially with my friend Marc Gasol, who is a really good guy, really nice." Serge (Sergio?) Ibaka in Spanish to Cadena SER, a Spanish radio station. [Translations mine].
So, what more do you want? A copy of his Spanish passport? Because he can provide that for you... I really want to make some sort of "birther" joke here, but I'm having trouble coming up with one. I'm not on my A-game right now because I just got back from Argentina where I was trying to convince Kun Agüero to come play for Real Madrid, and for Leo Messi to retire and become a gaucho. Still crossing my fingers.


Hate the column? Love the column? Send us an email at jabronifreesports@gmail.com.

Gabe Lezra is the Editor-in-Chief (and founder) of Managing Madrid, a Real Madrid website dedicated to bringing English-speaking fans funny, top-quality analysis. His work has been featured on CNN.com and CNN's World Sport, and he regularly contributes to Bleacher Report.

No comments: